Sunday, April 19, 2009

Are you worried about the war, Steven?

I painted this work in February 1991 when Saddam Hussein's troops were occupying Kuwait. I had visited my friend whom I often went to see and in the kitchen, my friend's brother was reading the newspaper. I wasn't sure if the Canucks had lost or if he was ill, but he looked saddened. I took the moment to grasp a pen and sketch when he wasn't looking.

A few days later, I painted this portrait, wanting to know his thoughts. He's not the type to verbalize what he's thinking. He desires not to discuss the trivial, only things that are essential or meaningful for him. I entered this painting into a juried exhibition but it was rejected. The comment was "we'd like to know what he's thinking." I did sell this painting eventually. I still think it stands out as one of my best.

No comments: