Sunday, May 3, 2009

If you like it, why don't you buy it?

So I sold art cards at a Mother's Day Sale at the Art Studios. Attendance to the sale was so-so as our location was off the beaten track. However, I socialized with the public and other sellers. It wasn't a bad day. The sun was shining. In my experience, people say they can't afford original art but they'll pay for dinner or buy fashionable clothes. Buying art isn't a priority for some. Even less so, with the economic downturn. On the other hand, by selling art cards, my art becomes affordable.

The Traveling Art Show through the Art Studios took down an exhibit and mounted a new show at the Evergreen Community Health Centre, including some of my paintings. While they were taking down the show, people had great things to say about the art, but the question remained, "If you like it that much, why don't you buy it?" Maybe I'm being a little cynical, but if the paintings are of very good quality and well-priced, what's the barrier?

I volunteered at a family conference on mental health and I recognized many faces. People I met at talks, workshops and dialogues. It was good to reconnect. So I was told by two writers I respect that my May Musings column on the topic of character was my best yet. It was great to get that response. My novel is coming along. As I write, the story is becoming more intricate and involved. Remaining true to the advice in my column, I try to express character through action, words, emotions and thoughts.

No comments: