Friday, August 22, 2014

What's up with Sandra?

So what's up with Sandra?

I've been working on some new floral paintings which I hope to exhibit later this year. Also, I am part of a design committee for the new Joseph and Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre scheduled to open in the spring of 2017. I also joined the Community Engagement Advisory Network (CEAN) to aid Vancouver Coastal Health through input as a member of the community. I am continuing as a volunteer Director of the Coast Foundation Society. And I'm participating in an art auction to raise funds for St. Paul's Hospital Mental Health Program in September.

Drawing and talking art with friends at the café has improved my technical skill. I watched a video about Stuart Slind, a Bowen Island artist and teacher. I paraphrase what he said as "If you want to be a big, successful artist, you must think like a big, successful artist. It takes effort and time. To make a masterpiece, one must treat each work with the care and attention that befits a masterpiece. It can't be just good enough. Having said that, sometimes you're in the studio and you're unsure because the piece doesn't seem to be going as planned. But it's at those times, when you are being most creative. And most importantly, enjoy the process, enjoy what you do."

As for writing, I collaborated on a novella with a New York writer about an internet relationship. So if you know of any novella writing contests, please let me know!

If you want to hear some corny puns and see my sketchbook, come by Caffe Rustico Galleria for a coffee!

No comments: